Hedychium–commonly called ginger lily–is a tropical bulbous perennial that bears showy, fragrant and tubular clusters and spikes white, yellow, or orange-red flowers in spring and summer.
Hedychium flowers are tubular and almost trumpet shape with two lips and large bracts, borne in spike-like racemes. The flowers appear on reed-like stems above lance-shaped leaves. Some species can grow to 15 feet (5m) tall and 6 feet (2m) wide.
Hedychiums are most effective when planted in groups or in a mixed or herbaceous border. Where not hardy, they can be grown as houseplants and places outdoors in summer.
Hedychim is a genus of about 40 species of rhizomatous perennials from moist, wooded areas of Asia.
Get to Know Hedychium
- Plant type: Rhizomatous perennial
- Growing zones and range: Zones 8-11
- Hardiness: Half-hardy
- Height and width: 3 to 15 feet (1-5m) tall and 24 inches to 6 feet wide, depending on the variey
- Foliage: Lance-shaped, mid-green leaves
- Flowers: Fragrant, tubular orange or yellow flowers in desne terminal, cylindrical racemes to 20 inches (50cm) long
- Bloom time: Summer to autumn
- Uses: Beds, borders; houseplant
- Common name: Ginger lily, garland lily
- Botanical name: Hedychium
- Family name: Zingiberaceae
- Origin: Wooded areas of Asia
Where to Plant Hedychium
- Light outdoors: Plant Hedychium in full sun.
- Light indoors: Grow Hedychium in bright indirect light.
- Soil outdoors: Grow in humus-rich, moist but well-drained soil.
- Soil indoors:Plant in a soil-based potting mix.
When to Plant Hedychium
- Plant Hedychium rhizomes in spring.
Planting and Spacing Hedychium
- Space Hedychium 24 inches to 6 feet wide depending on the variety.
How to Water and Feed Hedychium
- Water Hedychium freely during the growing season. In winter, keep the soil just moist.
- Feed Hedychium with a balanced liquid fertilizer monthly.
- Shelter Hedychium from wind.
Growing Hedychium as a Houseplant
- Several species can be grown as houseplants: Hedychium coronarium, garland flower, H. flavescens, yellow ginger, H. gardneranum, Kahili ginger.
- Hedychium prefers warm temperature, bright light, and average to high humidity.
- Grow Hedychium in an extra-rich, soilless medium and keep it constantly moist.
- Fertilize Heychium monthly
Hedychium Pests and Diseases
- Hedychium can be attacked by spider mites, aphids, mealy bugs, and scale insects.
- Root rot and leaf spot can occur.
- Propagate Hedychium by dividing rhizomes.
Hedychium Varieties to Grow
- Hedychium coronarium, garland flower, white ginger. Leaves to 2 feet long and 5 inches wide; butterfly-like flowers are pure white and bloom in rounded blusters; outdoors plant can grow to 10 feet tall..
- H. flavescens, yellow ginger. Lance-shaped leaves to 18 inches long; rounded clusters of 4-inch flwoers are yellow with a dark base;
- H. gardnerianum, Kahili ginger. Leaves to 18 inches long; flwoer spikes contain yellow flowers with red stamens; outdoors plant can grow to 7 feet tall.