Coffee plant, famous for its beans, is an exceptionally handsome house plant. Indoors this tropical shrub will top out at about 4 feet (1.2m) tall.
Coffe plants glossy, oval, dark green leaves are distinctly ribbed; the leaves look as if they have been polished. Funnel-shaped white flowers are followed by red berries–the beans from which you can make coffee.
Get to Know Coffee Plant
- Plant type: Tropical evergreen shrub
- Growing Zones and range: 10-11
- Hardiness: Tender; keep the temperature between 70° and 75°F (21°-24°C)
- Height and width: Grow to 12 feet (3.6m) in the tropics, indoor plants will not grow to half that height
- Foliage: Glossy, oval, dark green leaves are distinctly ribbed, grow to 4 inches (10cm) long and 2 inches wide
- Flowers: Clusters of fragrant, funnel-shaped, white flowers that are followed by small berries; flowers and berries appear at the base of leaves
- Bloom time: Summer
- Uses: Tropical shrub, houseplant
- Botanical name: Coffea arabica
- Common name: Coffee Plant
Where to Plant Coffee Plant
- Coffee plant prefers bright, filtered sunlight, not direct sun.
- Coffee plant needs humidity; grow plants on a humidity tray or mist several times a week.
How to Water and Feed Coffee Plant
- Keep the soil moist (like a squeezed sponge) but not soggy; reduce water during autumn and winter rest period allowing the soil to dry out almost completely between waterings
- Apply a complete fertilizer every two weeks during spring and summer, withhold fertilizer applications during autumn and winter.
Coffee Plant Care
- If you are trying to keep the coffee plant a particular size, pinch out the growing tips regularly during the spring and summer growing period.
- The coffee plant will drop leaves if temperatures drop below 55°F/13°C.
- Cut plants back in spring to keep them small and to encourage compact growth.
- Coffee plants can attract aphids, mealybugs, scales, and whiteflies but are generally disease-free.
Coffee Plant Propagation
- Start new plants from stem cuttings or from seed; new plants will not flower or fruit for about four years.
Coffee Varieties to Grow
- Coffea arabica grows well indoors; this is the same plant that produces high-quality coffee beans.
- C.a. ‘Nana’ fowers and fruits earlier.